Spinning rods are a great option for all levels of experience. From beginners to professionals, there are a plethora of options to choose from with price ranges from very low to extremely high.
Our Top Pick:
With a friendly budget in mind as well as a focus on quality, durability, and performance, we have rounded out a list of our top 10 spinning rods for under $100. You are sure to find a rod on this list that will cover a broad range of fishing applications and needs.
- Best Spinning Rods for Under $100:
- 1. St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod TRS66MF (6’6″, Medium – Fast) – Editor’s Choice
- 2. KastKing Spin Resolute Fishing Rod (7’6”, Medium Heavy – Fast, 2 Piece) – Best for Casting Distance
- 3. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod (7’, Medium, 2 piece) – Best for Beginners
- 4. Fenwicks HMG (6’9” Medium – Light) – Most Versatile Rod
- 5. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod (6’6”, Light) – Best Lightweight Rod
- 6. Shimano Solora SLS56UL2 (5’6″, Ultra-Light – Fast, 2 Piece)
- 7. Cadence CR7 Spinning Rod (7’, Medium – Light, Medium – Fast)
- 8. Berkley Inshore Spinning Rod (7’6”, Medium – Light)
- 9. Fenwicks Eagle Spinning Rod (6’6”, Medium, 2 Piece)
- 10. Abu Garcia Vengeance Spinning Rod (7’, Medium)
Best Spinning Rods for Under $100:
1. St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod TRS66MF (6’6″, Medium – Fast) – Editor’s Choice
St. Croix has been a name brand leader in the fishing industry for the past 70 years. Our top pick, the St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod TRS66MF (6’6”), will without a doubt give you everything you need and then some in rods for smaller to larger fish. Although this rod specifically is ideal for freshwater, the company has several different options in length, action, and weight that cover both saltwater and freshwater applications.
When handling the rod you can tell that there was a lot of focus placed on the construction of these rods, making it feel like a much more expensive rod than it is.
Built from extremely durable SCII graphite and containing hard aluminum oxide guides, this rod’s durability will impress as it has been known to last for several years. The rod also boasts a Fuji DPS reel seat with actions and tapers finely tuned for incredible performance.
If you do run into an issue with your rod, St. Croix boasts unparalleled customer service to make sure your needs are met and you can get back on the water as soon as possible.
Although it tops out at the higher end of our budget range, you can’t go wrong choosing this rod as you will end up with a superior product that you can rely on for years to come.
- Quality SCII Graphite Construction
- Top grade cork handles for superior comfort
- Unparalleled customer service with a 5-year warranty Amazing hook setting power and finely tuned for strength and sensitivity
- Higher-end of the budget range
2. KastKing Spin Resolute Fishing Rod (7’6”, Medium Heavy – Fast, 2 Piece) – Best for Casting Distance
When KastKing released its Resolute series, people instantly were excited to see them featuring American Tackle MicroWave Air Guides. Typically, these innovative line guides are found on much more expensive rods however, KastKing prides itself on making newer technology more affordable.
The purpose of these line guides is to control loose line coming off the reel so that there is less lateral movement during the cast. This means that there is a significant increase in casting distance and line control.
Made from Toray IM7 carbon fiber blanks, this rod gives users an extremely sensitive, lightweight, powerful fishing experience. The rods also incorporate two-piece Brave Reel Seats that can fit a multitude of reels to cover several different fishing conditions.
Users can’t go wrong adding this affordable and innovative rod to their collection. This highly rated freshwater rod (with some inshore saltwater applications) should be at the top of any serious angler’s shopping list.
- Ultra-sensitive IM7 carbon fiber graphite
- Innovative Microwave Line Control System for increased casting distance
- SuperPolymer nonslip handles Feels like a 1 piece rod
- Hard to find a fault with this rod
3. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod (7’, Medium, 2 piece) – Best for Beginners
If you are just getting into fishing, or want to buy a gift to introduce someone into the angling world, then this is the best rod to go with. Ugly Stik has been many anglers’ first rod and even most professionals have one or two in their collection.
The Elite is noticeably stronger and more sensitive than the original by adding more graphite to its construction. The guides are made from stainless steel while the reel seat has an exposed blank style with a stainless steel hood.
Ugly Stik is notorious for making incredibly tough rods. Even with these upgrades, it still delivers on its promise to keep true to what we have come to expect from this company. This is a no-frills solid rod backed up by a 7-year warranty.
- Very affordable
- Extremely durable
- Trusted name brand Comes with a 7 year warranty
- A bit heavier than other rods on this list
- Some reviews claim they aren’t made as well as they used to
4. Fenwicks HMG (6’9” Medium – Light) – Most Versatile Rod
Fenwicks created the first graphite rod many years ago and they have continued to improve on that model in the years since. Built from extremely durable material, and backed by a stellar warranty, these rods are a solid choice for several different fishing applications.
The cork handles give the user security in their grip while delivering precision action on the water. The carbon bound blanks have carbon fiber spiraling its length to give a truly strong rod.
If you are willing to spend a little bit more this rod will not disappoint any serious angler. Who wants to add a versatile rod to their setup.
- Fuji guides with Alconite inserts will keep your line running smooth
- Sea-Guide reel seat keeps reels secure
- TAC handles have a great grip in all weather conditions High-quality construction
- Limited lifetime warranty
- 1 piece design keeps it from being a good travel rod
- High end of the budget
5. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod (6’6”, Light) – Best Lightweight Rod
This rod has a lot of things going for it but the best thing is its price. Close to the low end of any budget angler, you will find that the Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod is great for both serious anglers as well as those looking to just have some fun on the water.
A super easy rod that can be fished all day, its solid graphite compost blank construction gives a fairly durable rod for an amazing price. This rod is best for bite-detection.
If you are looking for a fun and easy lightweight rod that won’t even begin to break the bank then this should be your first choice.
- Light action rod perfect for bite detections
- Stainless steel inserts with stainless steel guides
- Corked handles Super affordable
- Enhanced sensitivity
- Not a durable as other rods on this list
- Only good for small fish
6. Shimano Solora SLS56UL2 (5’6″, Ultra-Light – Fast, 2 Piece)
The Shimano Solora 2 piece spinning rod is a great choice for any angler that wants a basic rod to just get out there and fish. No bells and whistles, and with a solid price point, you will get a decent rod that will serve you with many applications.
Made from aero glass this rod can deliver some serious power and its solid graphite reel seat will make sure you have full reel security. Its guides are made from reinforced aluminum while its cork handles will keep you comfortable any day on the water.
There have been some complaints on its tips breaking as well as its ability to last for a long time. However, with its great price tag, no angler looking for a solid budget spinning rod will many complaints with this selection.
- Aeroglass blank construction for a durable rod
- Great for beginning anglers
- Good price tag A solid graphite reel seat
- Many components on it being a stiffer rod than the medium action suggests
- Doesn’t have replaceable tips so when they break you will need a new rod
7. Cadence CR7 Spinning Rod (7’, Medium – Light, Medium – Fast)
When you think about quality in spinning rods, a lot of professional anglers will mention the Cadence CR7 spinning rod. A lot of care was put into the construction of this rod and the end product is a top-notch product.
Made from 40-ton graphite with a Fuji reel seat, stainless steel guides, and EVA and premium grade cork handles this rod gives a sleek and professional appearance.
Whether you are an amateur angler or a tournament seeking professional you will be hard-pressed to find a better rod that will exceed your expectations. With great care, this rod will remain in your collection for many happy moments on the water.
- Quality 40-ton graphite construction for sensitivity and strength but without the weight
- Great for freshwater
- SiC guides and a Fuji reel seat show its craftsmanship Professional rod for a great price
- Sleek design
- Tips have been known to break easily
8. Berkley Inshore Spinning Rod (7’6”, Medium – Light)
Specifically designed for saltwater fishing, budget anglers will inevitably end up looking at a Berkley Inshore spinning rod. Whether looking to catch some redfish or even some stripers, this series of rods will have an option for you.
Made from 24-ton graphite and Fuji guides, many users report a very strong backbone that has allowed them to catch and land bigger fish. The rod also has a split rubberized cork handle that allows more security to fight fish with two hands.
The Berkley company is comprised of many hard-working dedicated employees who are more than happy to help you with your fishing needs should there be any. This is a fantastic choice for all those saltwater anglers out there.
- Great all-purpose saltwater rod
- Good sensitivity with braided line
- Has an excellent backbone for catching larger fish Quality 24-ton graphite construction
- The grip can feel a bit clunky depending on what is being fished
Related: Check our article about best braided fishing lines!
9. Fenwicks Eagle Spinning Rod (6’6”, Medium, 2 Piece)
Fenwicks rods are so good that we had to include one more on our list. Time tested this company continues to produce new series that grow on their original ideas. As with any Fenwicks product, you are getting innovation for an incredibly reasonable price.
With the Eagle series, they improved upon the handle by adding B2 cork. This cork feels like any traditional cork found on many rods but as any angler knows, after time the handle can start to wear and even fall apart. This B2 cork gives you everything that you loved about traditional cork handles while making something that is more durable and chip resistant.
This rod is a finely tuned product that allows angler for precision casting with expected durability for a great price.
- A trusted company for making durable rods
- B2 cork feels like traditional cork but it more resistant
- Very accurate for precision casting Great for all freshwater applications
- Slight lack of sensitivity but it makes up for it in strength
10. Abu Garcia Vengeance Spinning Rod (7’, Medium)
Our last mention on this list is a rod whose cosmetics stands out first and foremost. With a sleek silver and black design, this rod’s visual appeal is on par with its performance value.
Created by true professionals, this graphite constructed with EVA grips rod is designed to give you its best performance every time. With how this rod looks and feels you would think this rod exceeds our budget of $100 but surprisingly it comes in way below the limit.
After a few casts, any angler will know that they have acquired a keeper and will look forward to checking out other products from this company.
- Solid rod to reel connection
- Great price point
- Super smooth guides for ease of casting Great Freshwater rod
- The guide inserts are fragile
There are many options on the market and you will find that many of them come with high price tags attached. While you can go for these options, you can also find a lot of great products for $100 or less.
Several of the companies mentioned in this article all produce high-quality reels to match their rods. As with any of these choices, it can come down to personal preferences as well as the price point.
When selecting a reel to match your rod you will want to make sure that it fits tightly in the reel seat. Make a few casting motions to feel for any loose parts as well as making sure the weight feels good in your hand. You don’t want your day cut short because your arm is too tired!
Equally as important is to make sure that the size of your reel fits the size and weight of the rod appropriately. All rods and reels have specifications written on them showing what the appropriate weights are as well as other specifications to the particular product.
Good luck with your search and happy fishing!